Tuesday, April 12, 2016

April: National Poetry Month and Diving In!

Check out this great site! Napowrimo

From the site:
NaPoWriMo, or National Poetry Writing Month, is an annual project in which participating poets attempt to write a poem a day for the month of April. 
This website is owned and operated by Maureen Thorson, a poet living in Washington, DC. Inspired byNaNoWriMo, or National Novel Writing Month), she started writing a poem a day for the month of April back in 2003, posting the poems on her blog. When other people started writing poems for April, and posting them on their own blogs, Maureen linked to them. After a few years, so many people were doing NaPoWriMo that Maureen decided to launch an independent website for the project.
This site was designed by the very nice people at 2the9design, who know waaaaayyyyy more about back-end coding stuff than Maureen does. But this site isn’t meant to be “official,” or to indicate ownership or authority over the idea of writing 30 poems in April. There is no corporate sponsorship of this project. No money is intended to change hands anywhere. Maureen just likes poems and wants to encourage people to write them. The site doesn’t ask for your email address, or any other personal information. Heck, you don’t even have to give your name.
From me:
This is such a great idea, I'm going to give it a go, even though I'm 12 days behind. Can I get caught up? Well, let's see!
I'll have to do a few poems a day to get caught up.
Catch up Poem of the day 1 of 30
Catching
A cold grows old 
one sneeze-snatched tissue at a time
calls for cough-filled naps
cups of O.J. heated with tea
ages
with voice-filling changes in the throat
the welcome of scent of vapor
fading to tulips turned up
to the sun
Time to catch a ray!
Poem of Day 12  (2 of 30)
The road to work-a-day-care drop
winds away from home
we, you and mirror-me,
wing with words
w-a--w-a
"way"
This is the way we go
Go! Go! Go!
'cause I know
S-T-O-P has got 
the sign
and in time
I'll find "you"
"like"
"love"
because 
I love you, 
"Mom"
Mom loves "Me"
On to tomorrow!  Let's go!
Who is ready to join me?!  If you write a poem for every day in the month of April, I'll enter you into a contest to win an autographed copy of my novel-in-verse Pretty Omens


No comments:

Post a Comment